1. Will these products measurably increase the cetane number of the fuel?
ANSWER: Neither Alken Even-Flo® 910S nor PDE 903 will significantly alter the cetane number of the fuel. Mileage increases with EF 910S are obtained through improved combustion of the fuel.
2. Will these products measurably increase the ash content of fuel?
ANSWER 2a: At the dosage rate of 1:500, PDE 903 will increase the ash content by 2.6 ppm, while the 1:2000 ratio would increase ash by only 0.65 ppm. The formula contains less than 0.05% ash content.
ANSWER 2b: When used at the rate of 1 gallon to 500 gallons, Alken Even-Flo® 910S will increase fuel ash by approximately 19 ppm. At the decreased rate of 1 gallon to 1,000 gallons, the fuel ash will increase by only 9.5 ppm. Even at the highest rate tested, 1:150, ash content of the fuel will increase by approximately 65 ppm. The product contains less than 0.9% ash.
3. Do these products contain any metallic compounds or any other elements other than hydrogen, carbon, nitrogen, or oxygen?
ANSWER 3a: PDE 903 contains only a minute quantity of sodium - and this is present in less than 75% of the ash content as indicated in No. 2 above. There are no halogens in this product. Alken PDE 903 is registered with the USEPA as a motor fuel additive for diesel engines.
ANSWER 3b: Alken Even-Flo® 910S contains 0.6% oil-soluble liquid manganese, which acts as a combustion catalyst and smoke suppression agent. EF 910S will not destabilize fuel in storage, will not form abrasive ash, will not produce highly toxic exhaust emissions, and does not contain any acid-forming elements. EF 910S has been registered with the USEPA as a motor fuel additive for diesel engines.
4. Will these products measurably increase the vapor pressure and/or reduce the flash point of the fuel?
ANSWER: No, neither product will affect vapor pressure or flash point. The flash point of EF 910S is 210F PMCC avg. The flash point of PDE 903 is 175F PMCC avg.
5. Will these products significantly change the viscosity of the fuel?
ANSWER: Neither product will affect viscosity in the recommended dosages.
6. Will these products complex with sediment or water either suspended in the fuel or settled in fuel tanks to form sludge suspensions capable of plugging fuel filters and/or injectors?
ANSWER 6a: Alken Even-Flo® 910S contains surfactants that will effectively disperse nominal quantities of water in a finely divided state thereby controlling icing, retarding bacterial growth and assuring good combustion. It will not complex with sediment or water.
ANSWER 6b: Alken® PDE® 903 will aid in lowering the pour point of the fuel, therefore reducing filter plugging in cold weather.
7. Will products remain indefinitely blended in the fuel or could they settle out during fuel storage?
ANSWER: Both products are completely soluble and compatible with diesel fuel and will remain distributed throughout the fuel.
8. Will these products change the cloud point of the fuel?
ANSWER 8a: Alken® PDE 903 will not change the cloud point of the fuel, but will control the growth of wax crystals and maintain cold flow and eliminate filter plugging from 10degrees F to 30degrees F below the cloud point of the fuel - depending upon the fuel composition, and the treatment dosage.
ANSWER 8b: Alken Even-Flo® 910S has no effect on the cloud point of the fuel.
9. Will these products change the pour point of the fuel?
ANSWER 9a: Alken® PDE 903 will reduce the pour point from 10degrees F to -50 degrees F, depending upon the fuel composition and treatment dosage.
ANSWER 9b: Even-Flo 910S has no effect on the pour point of the fuel.
10. If we overdose the additives, would any of the answers to the previous questions be altered?
ANSWER 10a: Doubling the recommended dosages of PDE 903 would improve cold flow plugging prevention and pour point depression up to a point. Doubling the 1 to 250 gallon dosage would perversely result in a higher pour point than that obtained with a lower dosage.
ANSWER 10b: Doubling the dosage of EF 910S will increase the ash content in proportion to the amount of additive used. Field tests have been performed on Alken Even-Flo® 910S with dosages increased to 1:150 gallons (see California case study), with a slight increase in fuel combustion and no harmful side effects.